Not to date myself, but 25 years ago my colleague shared one of her favorite cookie recipes with me, and I’m embarrassed to say, I never tried it … until this week! Oh my goodness, why had I waited so long??? These oatmeal cookies are so delicious and not your ordinary oatmeal cookie because these have the addition of rice krispies. One bite will have you wanting a lot more, because you not only get a little crunch from the rice krispies, but you also get the traditional oatmeal soft chewiness.
These will now be on my go-to list when someone asks for oatmeal cookies! Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening (I use the natural one from Whole Foods)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Rice Krispies (I use the Trader Joe’s variety)
- 2 cups oatmeal or rolled oats
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla – beat until light and fluffy.
- Add baking powder, salt, baking soda and flour until combined.
- Add krispies cereal until combined, then add oats until combined.
Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoon sized portions onto prepared cookie sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes. They should be straw colored and just beginning to turn golden on some of the edges.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. The cookies will firm up as they cool.